The CSG writes in their Choices For Our Region column:
What Makes Traffic Worse?
Too often, transportation decisions are made in isolation from a thoughtful land use plan. Examples of the "Bad and the Ugly" in local transportation projects have been:
- Widening roads to fix congestion (More lanes just bring more traffic)
- The Outer Beltway and its many segments (ICC, Western Bypass, Techway, Etc.)
- I-81 8-lane expansion
- 11th Street 12 lane bridge expansion
What Can Reduce Traffic?
There are many ways to reduce the demand on our roads and provide more options for how we move around.
- Integrate transportation with land use planning.
- Fix-it-first - invest in maintenance and operation of existing roads and transit.
- Invest in public transportation.
- (Read more...)